Are you curious about the trend of adults and coloring books?
Do you want a relaxing activity that’s hours of fun?
We all remember what it was like to get a fresh new coloring book as a kid and the waxy smell of a brand new box of Crayola Crayons. If you were lucky, you had one of those 100+ boxes with every color you could imagine. I made do with an old shoebox filled with half used crayons (Okay I loved that shoebox!).
While kids seek out the latest and greatest in technology, Adults are returning to their roots to pass the time. Gone are the days of kiddish coloring pages and simple crayons. Detailed coloring books that take hours to finish just one page and colored pencils fit for an artist are what’s desired to get that relaxing feeling that only comes from coloring.
Are you itching to get into coloring but not sure where to get started? I’m here to help you out!
I’ve compiled a list to make it easy for you to find the book that’s right for you and the tools to color them with links to buy them so you can get started right away!
1. Secret Garden is the first coloring book I bought that was “adult”. I have yet to finish it (but that’s okay with me!) I enjoy planning out the colors I’m going to use and looking at all the pages that I get to color and make my own. I also love that you can pretty much color the whole entire book. Even the cover is a design you can color (and the insides too!). It’s the most beautiful coloring book I’ve ever bought.
2. The second coloring book is the sequel to Secret Garden, Enchanted Garden. Just like it’s predecessor, it’s beautiful and fully available for you to color. Since I haven’t finished the first one, I’ve yet to color in it, but I know I’ll have just as much fun!
3. This Harry Potter coloring book is great for any fan of the series. It’s got iconic scenes from the movie as well as you can color the house crests! (Go Gryffindor!) This was sold out for quite a while because of how popular it was. I recommend getting it now in case it goes out of stock again!
4. The Game of Thrones Coloring book is based off of the book series A Song of Ice and Fire more than the HBO series. That doesn’t mean these pages aren’t any less detailed and beautiful. The house sigils are my favorite part of this book with the accompanying words and quotes. Fans will sure love this book!
5. Disney Princess fans will go crazy for this gorgeous book filled with your favorite princesses! From romantic scenes to beautiful patterns, you’ll be entertained for hours.
Now you’ll need tools to color in those beautiful books. Here are some of my favorites!
1. The Staedtler Triplus Fineliner pens are great for getting those fine details and to make your book look colorful! They also don’t dry out if you accidentally leave the caps off. I had started out with a smaller pack but quickly found it didn’t have enough variation for me. I got the largest pack of 36 because I wanted a lot more colors to use.
2. I found that getting nice artist’s quality colored pencils can be quite expensive. I had read tips from others about these great pencils that are an Asian brand: Marco Raffine. So far I’ve loved the quality. They are best for the coloring books where a more realistic look is needed.
3. Of course you can never go wrong with some great Prismacolor pencils. These are on the higher end of pricing for coloring pencils but the quality is top notch and a top pick for many professional artists.
4. Last but not least, you’re going to want a way to sharpen those pencils. I recommend getting this simple hand sharpener as opposed to a fancy electronic one. The electronic ones make the pencil run out faster, which isn’t ideal when your pencils aren’t cheap. This sharpener from Prismacolor isn’t pricy and is made for sharpening artist’s pencils.